It is common knowledge that alcohol impairment contributes to traffic collisions, however most people think a driver has to be "drunk" to be considered a hazard behind the wheel. The probability of a collision increases with any driver who has a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) higher than zero. Although your friend may appear sober, if they have consumed any amount of alcohol, their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle has been impaired.
DRUNK DRIVING IS THE LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH AMONG TEENAGERS!!
Eight young people a day die in alcohol related crashes. Many of these deaths occur in the spring and summer months when prom night and graduation activities present opportunities for some teens to experiment with alcohol. Teenagers tendency to drink combined with their relative lack of experience behind the wheel produces a deadly combination. Please share the following with your friends and loved ones;
The Point Pleasant Police Department urges youths to influence their friends to save their own lives and the lives of others, by refusing to yield to peer pressure and NOT DRIVE AFTER DRINKING!
- One person is killed every half-hour due to drunk driving.
- Alcohol reduces alertness, interferes with judgment and impairs vision. A person who has had a "couple" of drinks cannot drive as well as when not drinking.
- Each year 16,000 Americans are killed in alcohol related crashes.
- Alcohol affects a person differently at different times. Physical an emotional conditions, other drugs, the amount of food in the system causes alcohol to affect a person differently.
- Alcohol is a factor in nearly 50% of all traffic fatalities.
- The probability of a collision increases with each drink.
- Every other minute another person is seriously injured in an alcohol related crash.
- Medical cost are estimated to be $45 billion yearly while quality of life cost are an additional $71 billion.
- About 1.4 million people are arrested each year in the United States for Drunk Driving.
- About 120 people are arrested each year in the Borough of Point Pleasant for Drunk Driving.
Back to Point Borough Police Menu